- 500g Welsh Beef fillet -thick end
- ½ tablespoon Halen Môn sea salt
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- A little olive oil
- For the dressing;
- 1 heaped tablespoon Welsh grain mustard
- Juice of half a lemon
- Small handful of fresh mint
- 2 egg yolks
- 4-5 tbs olive oil
- Lemon – to serve
- Set the oven at 220°C/Gas 8.
- Crush the peppercorns roughly with a pestle and mortar and mix them with the salt.
- Rub the beef with a little olive oil then roll it in the Seasoning, pressing down so that most of the salt and pepper sticks to the meat.
- Warm 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a roasting tin then put over the heat until the oil starts to Sizzle.
- Brown the meat quickly on all sides then roast for 10 minutes only. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- To make the dressing, put the mustard, lemon juice, mint leaves and eggs yolks in a blender and whiz for a few seconds. Slowly pour in the oil, stopping when you have a dressing the consistency of double cream. Slice the beef very thinly, and then spoon the dressing over at the table. Serve with lemon wedges.
Recipe by Howel Food Consultancy
Thursday, December 18, 2008