Simply the best Christmas pudding around, packed with juicy fruit and festive spirit to share with the family. For a truly merry Christmas why not try making the pudding a few months before then feed it regularly with Brandy or Rum?
- 225g/8oz of caster sugar
- 225g/8oz of suet
- 340g/12oz of sultanas
- 340g/12oz of raisins
- 225g/8oz of currents
- 110g/4oz of candied peel, chopped
- 110g/4oz of plain flour
- 110g/4oz of fresh white breadcrumbs
- 55g/2oz of flaked almonds
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp of mixed spice
- 1 tsp of freshly grated nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 150ml/5fl oz of brandy or rum
- Grease 2x 1.2 litre pudding basins
- Mix dry ingredients
- Add eggs and brandy
- Add mixture to basins and place a circle of baking paper on the top of the basins and tie in place.
- Place basins in a steamer (or a saucepan filled up to a third of the basin height) and steam for 5-6 hours.
- Serve with cream, custard or more brandy! (to reheat steam for 2 hours then serve).
Thursday, December 9, 2010